Thursday

Jamaican Libraries

Back in the day people used to use the library as a meeting place. Forget about the  wealth of books that were present filled with interesting things to learn.

High school students just wanted to meet their friends after school in a somewhat safe environment, where they can hang out for a while.

I once went to the library during high school to do some research on a topic and my friends used to opportunity to hit on girls and goof off. 

I was somewhat disappointed that I did not get to do any work at the library with my friends, was I being naïve?

I may have been, nevertheless, the whole landscape of libraries have changed.

The last time I remember going to the library for a book was during the early 2000's when I was in college. I checked out a couple of books for a research paper that I was doing. My paper had to include a least 5 book in my references. That was the assignment.

I recently moved into an area and I was surprised at the number of books that I had in my possession that I simply don't use anymore. I just put them in the library's book drop.

I was surprised when I visited that library not long after and found that they had a sign that they don't need any more books.  Can you imagine?

A library refusing books.

Since my time in college a visit to the library has been about using their internet on my personal computer. 

The library to me is just a place to access wifi and read quietly.

In a few years these places may be extinct as people do all the research they need on the internet via their phones.

Do you think differently? If so please comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will Jamaican Music of the past be forgotten?

Music has always been an integral part of our lives. It has the power to move us, inspire us, and bring people from different backgrounds to...