Tuesday

What Jamaicans used to know




There are things in society that somehow is an awakening to the reality that you really are old. Just recently I was reading and I recognize that there are things that I was used to use as a child that are distant history. 

For example, the rewinding of a cassette tape with a with a pencil, or dial up internet. I don't know if the current youth of the day will even know what that is like to actually get up to change your TV channels. As funny as it may sound, this was something that I was used to as child.

You know to come a little closer home. You know to pass the time. Almost every woman in Jamaica knew how to crochet or how to knit.  I don't even know if that's a thing anymore.  You'll probably find some crocheting and knitting, but it seems that soon it will be a thing of the past. Maybe just maybe in the tourists  areas and sites tour sites there are some who still do it.

Can anyone confirm this is the case?

Probably even sewing in general is going to be a thing of the past because who has time to sew and the stitch anymore? I mean I went to men's warehouse recently and they still have a tailor on site so I guess that is something that will never grow old. But man I remember those when those things were commonplace for the for the everyday housewife.

As our picture above implies, there are methodologies of making tea and food that have gone extinct. The older generation is dying out and with them the knowledge of how things used to be done naturally.

What things do you know that have come and gone simply because there's no more need of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do Jamaicans stay so slim?

 Except you have a hormone imbalance it is is actually quite easy to stay slim as a Jamaican. You stay drenched in the heat of the sun, cons...