Tuesday

Things I miss about Jamaica the Most

 The number one thing I miss about Jamaica is the scenery. Being able to look out into the distance and see houses scattered across the hillside, just gives me a warm nostalgic feeling.


I also miss the roads. Not the congested roads in the city, but the winding country roads overlooking waterways, or mountainous rocks also gives that homely feeling. There is one rock which is visible from a winding country road. It is commonly referred to as "Pum Pum Rock" because it is said that it resembles a woman's genitals. But this too is a place that I miss feasting my eyes on.


  

The warm smile of a market woman is also a thing that reminds me of the island. It is probably a common thing in all Caribbean islands, but the market woman in my country makes me miss the place. 


The family and the food are things that come to mind first when thinking about a place that you miss. No doubt it is the same here. 

I don't miss the food so much since Jamaican cuisine is available just about at every street corner. Family is a totally different matter however, these are not found all over the place. It is not in-expensive to buy plane tickets and visit, and phone calls are sometimes expensive, so oftentimes it is hard to connect.

Thank God for Whatsapp so I can call and see relatives just about anytime I want. It is not the same as seeing in person, but it is right up there in providing the comfort need to speak to and see relatives at an affordable cost (free).


I know I have not touched everything here. Is there anything that you miss about the island, that is not mentioned here, or one of the things that are mentioned, but you would like to share a story?

Please leave your comments below.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A poem about Jamaica

 Jamaica land we love so dear     A beauty that needs no veneer    From mountains high to beaches wide   A place where life is satisfied  Th...