Saturday

Jamaican Artists #1

O.K. So where do we start with this one?

Do I start from my childhood, or do I start from as far back as I can remember? I think I will start with those as far back as I can remember.

The first notable artist that I can remember is Pluto Shervington. He was the one that sung the infamous Ram Goat Liver Song. Every Jamaican from the 70's surely knows that one. In those days the lyrics of the music that filled our air waves was mostly entertaining, but in some instances the music was funny and informative. I'm not sure what genre Pluto sang though, not sure I would classify his music as dance-hall or even reggae. It is not debatable though that he was among the foundation artists that set the path for other upcoming Jamaican Artists.

Here are some other notable mentions, not in any particular order.

Bob Marley
Artist Name
Name at Birth
Famous Song


Mega Banton


Freddy Mcgregor


Shabba Ranks


Lt. Stichie


Shakka Demos and Pliers


Sanchez


Juddy Mowat


Bounty Killa


Beenie man


Vybz Kartel












  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Seventh day Adventist in Jamaica

 Although it is not the leading Christian denomination in Jamaica, no doubt it is among the top 5. Consequently everybody has either heard o...