Translate

Friday

Jamaican Language - Jah-mek-yah


Years ago, there was a movement to translate all English phrases into patios. This was an attempt to establish Patois as an official language; however, I think the attempts failed.

I know there was even a movement that translated sections of the Bible into Patois, but I guess it didn't fly; apparently, it did not become too popular either.

Nevertheless, here are a few terms that Jamaicans use a lot and maybe can help with your understanding of their communication.

"Wah Gwan?" - What's going on?  - What's happening? 
This is usually used as a greeting, but it can literally be a way of finding out what's happening at a particular time.

If there are are terms that you would like the meaning of, or some terms that you know the meaning of, please jot it below.

Here is also a website you can check out.

https://www.dancehallmag.com/2026/08/23/music/50-essential-jamaican-patois-phrases-for-beginners.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Big Up Mi Readers Everywhere!

 Who you be, where you hailing from? Far or near, mi juss a seh welcome! A which part a di world you a sit down read? Truss mi A dem ya word...